The Transfer [12]

My last appointment prior to the ER, I had 27 follicles. My doctor was able to get 26 of them. 17 were mature and were fertilized. 10 successfully became embryos. 1 of them was transferred back into me.

Now with a standard IVF, an egg is put into a dish and some sperm are put in the dish as well and they allow a sperm to naturally fertilize the egg. Because of the morphology and motility issues we have, we had to do ICSI. That is where they take a single sperm and inject it directly into the egg. Or something like that. It is all very complex and intense. And overwhelming.

I can't believe I haven't really talked about James. One of the things I have loved most about the entire process has been James. He has been above and beyond what I have needed. He has researched every little thing and could tell you way more information than you would ever need to know (unless you are facing fertility treatments). He has watched countless YouTube videos and knows which blogs are the good ones to read. He feels strongly about the lack of information from men--not doctors but by men in our situation. 

In all of his usual humor and unique point of view, he has had everyone rolling. The nurses and doctor always comment when he isn't able to come with me to appointments (someone has to work to pay for this stuff!). Our doctor is associated with MCV so there are a lot of students and residents and I think James has probably shocked a few of them.  It’s good training for them. 

When it comes to the embryos (James would tell you that they aren't actually embryos yet. They are blastocysts.) there is a grading system. There is a number followed by 2 letters. Each thing signifies a different stage in development. If you want to know more about it, talk to James. The days between the ER and the transfer, James kept asking me to find out what our grades were. Because of the medications I was on, I was a wee bit forgetful during that time. I forgot a lot of words- simple, everyday words. James would just chuckle and fill in the blanks for me. But I never could remember to ask about the grades. So the day we go in for the transfer, James asked the doctor about the grade. He simply said, "It's an A." And James said, "It is a 4AA, 3AB, what is it exactly?" The doctor was surprised and realized James had done his research. It was a 4AA, the best you can hope for!

The procedure was ridiculously uncomfortable. I had not mentally prepared myself for that in any way. I had thought that the ER would be the worst part and that was a breeze! For the transfer, you have to have a full bladder so that they can use that as contrast and reference for the uterus to place the embryo in the correct place. My bladder was not full enough when we got there so I had to drink an entire bottle of water. I assumed they would come check on me but they didn't. I had to pee so very badly that I wanted to claw my eyeballs out. It was miserable.

 James offered several times to go get a nurse but I didn't want to be a bother and continued to wait for them. Eventually, James just got up and went to find a nurse. She came right in and checked me- I had more than enough. She said I could even go to the bathroom. I laughed at her when she said that I could only go about 4 ounces. And then I realized she was serious. I went but was still miserable. I went back to the room and she checked me again with the ultrasound and said I could go another 4 ounces, sweet relief!  Now it was time for the transfer.

There was a nurse or two, the doctor, and two students in the room to see my lady bits this time. The overhead light was turned off, my legs were back in the stirrups, and the speculum was in place. The speculum was so uncomfortable. I am not sure if it was because of my bladder being so full or if it was because he couldn't use a lubricant because it could interfere with the procedure. Sorry if that was too much information.  It was awful.

I remember thinking how interesting the lighting was and thinking how it would make a great picture. But I was squeezing my love handles so hard I'm surprised I didn't leave bruises so no pictures were taken. At least, not by me. So there I am with my legs in the air, my lady bits illuminated for the whole room to see, and in comes another man wheeling in an incubator. This man was the embryologist, I think. I could be making that up. Hormone brain, remember? He asked James to look through a microscope to see the blastocyst. And he may have had James sign something since this part of the procedure involved his goods. They transferred the blastocyst into me and then double checked with the microscope to make sure it wasn't in the dish anymore. It was all very heavy.

I can't remember exactly what was said but James had everyone laughing again which was not cool.  I was in a very delicate position with my full bladder.  I did not need to be laughing.  I had to tell him to be quiet.  

After the transfer was complete, I had to lay on my back for 30 minutes. Remember my full bladder?  Yeah, I hadn’t forgotten about it either but for 30 brutal minutes, I laid there because it was all for the sake of my unborn child.  


James & I left from our appointment and drove to Amelia, VA to let my mama in on our secret.  She was super excited for us.  After that we drove home to carry on with life as we waited until it was time for a blood test to see if I was pregnant.  






No comments:

Post a Comment