The Beginning [2]

Twelve years ago when we got back home from our honeymoon, we decided to try for a baby. First of all, what were we thinking? Why didn't we think that we need time to adjust to married life and learning how to live with each other? I'll tell you what we were thinking-- we thought, "We could be pregnant with our best friends! Wouldn't that be so much fun?"  You see, my best friend, Jessi, had called us before we left for the honeymoon with news that she was expecting baby #2. 

It didn't happen in our first year or any other year since. Around year 2, we went to the doctor to try to figure out what was happening. We had some minor tests run and were told that he had a low count and I had the estrogen level of a post menopausal woman. Say what?! I was around 23 and didn't have any symptoms of being post menopausal. The doctor gave me some medicine to take during certain times of the month to see if that would help things out. He also instructed me to take a certain type of cough syrup because of effects on mucus. I won't go into too much detail there because ew. 

Well, the Rx and cough syrup didn't help.  Next, the doctor ordered a dye test (I am not very technical when it comes to medical talk so you are going to have to just love me in spite of it. But I have since learned that is HSG-- there is a longer name for it but I don't think you really care about that, am I right?). 

The doctor would shoot the dye up my Fallopian tubes to see if there were any blockages and if there were, perhaps the dye would help remove them. We got a call the night before the test saying that our insurance company didn't cover infertility testing so we canceled the test. Somewhere in there, we had an ultrasound done and the doctor told us that it appeared that there was a 5 week pregnancy. We were so excited.

I peed on a stick but it was negative. I had a blood test but it was also negative. We were crushed.  


What happened to the 5 week pregnancy?  I asked that very question when I went in for my yearly appointment.  The midwife told me that my body probably recognized it as an unhealthy pregnancy and absorbed it.  


We didn't pursue any more fertility treatments at the time because we felt like we just needed to give it a little more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment