Back to the doctor. [4]

The doctor that we had seen a decade ago is still in practice but he isn't dealing with infertility anymore. Over the last couple of years, I have connected with a local gal via social media that was also going through infertility. She had been pretty open about a lot of stuff through her blog. I initially reached out to her after she first posted their story to tell her that she wasn't alone on this path and to compare notes with her. She and her husband had not been dealing with it as long as we had but she was further along the path when it came to seeking treatment. Since we live in the same area, I asked her to refer me to whomever she was seeing. She ended up referring us to a doctor up in Richmond about an hour and a half away. He and his nurses have been fabulous. I don't think I could ever say enough good things about them. We love them. We want to do life with them.  The long drive is totally worth it.  

My first appointment with them was one afternoon in February. It was starting to snow before I even left work.  The snowflakes were incredible but I didn't have time to stop and enjoy them because I was so scared of being late since it was such a far drive. I ended up getting pulled over by a state trooper which stressed me out even more about being late. (And it wasn't for speeding but for my window tint being too dark.).  After the appointment, I wound up driving home on icy roads in a huge snowstorm. Well, huge in terms of the Hampton Roads area.

We didn't do much other than talk at the first appointment.  We went over our test results from a decade ago. We made a plan for when I would come back to start tests.  A week or so before my first appointment, my cousin told me that she was pregnant.  I was so excited because I was sure that this was our time.  My cousin, Renee, and I are 5 months apart in age.  For 95% of our lives we have lived several states away from each other but our parents made sure that we grew up together.  I was confident that I would get pregnant and my baby would be able to grow up with a similar relationship with his/her cousin.  


My doctor ran some tests on us and found that I have the correct estrogen levels for my age and my tubes, ovaries, and uterus look great. He told us that James does have a lower count and his motility & morphology are funky. Basically, his little men look and swim funny. The doctor suggested a round of chlomid and an IUI- intrauterine insemination. (Not sure what that is?  Think turkey baster.)  I would take the chlomid and then start taking ovulation predictor kits at home. Once we got a positive ovulation, we would go back up to Richmond for the IUI.




No comments:

Post a Comment