The first IUI [5]



Shopping for Ovulation Predictor Kits is overwhelming.  There are several different varieties. There are digital and non digital.  There are single, double, or triple packs.  There are lines or there are smiling faces.  So many choices!  Which is the best and easiest to use?   Which one is fool proof?  So much pressure! 

We had our first positive ovulation on Memorial Day. The deal was that once you had a positive, you call the doctor and plan to go the office the next day for the IUI. There was a mix up and the on call doctor told us to come that very day. We were excited because we were off work already and didn't have to call in sick. We hadn’t explained anything to our employers at this point and we didn’t want to have to call out randomly.  So off to Richmond we went. Normally they want the guys to arrive to the collection location between 7:15-8:00. It was already in that window when we talked to the on call doctor and she told us to still come. We had an hour and a half drive to get there. We were super excited and hopeful. This was finally happening!

We arrived at the collection clinic close to 10 am and explained our situation. Those poor ladies were getting ready to close up so they could go celebrate the holiday. After talking to our doctor, she told us they would still see us. I cried because I was so upset that I was ruining plans and making people stay late. I was way emotional.

Once the sample was ready, we carried it over to our doctor's office. The entire place was dark and closed up for the holiday so the nurse met us at the door. She was so gracious and kind as I apologized over and over for holding them up. She reassured me that all was well and they were happy to see me. (See? Wouldn't you want to do life with someone like that?) The doctor came in dressed like he was ready for a cookout (in fact, he was hosting a huge neighborhood cookout for the holiday. More apologizing happened after he informed us of that but he was really sweet about it and said no apologies were needed.).

This was the first time that James was meeting the doctor and he was his normal funny self. He had the nurse and doctor cracking up. The doctor was so great-- he even let James push the plunger into the catheter saying that James could honestly say he got me pregnant should it be successful.

They had me lay on my back for about 15 minutes.  James & I were practically giddy with excitement. It was starting to hit us that we were really doing this.  James made some comment about no turning back and I fired back, "Eh, I could always go get a morning after pill."  I think I shocked James speechless. He was not amused.  My humor has always shown up at the most inappropriate times.  


We were sent home and told to test in 2 weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment